Package Leak Detection with Bubble Test: LEAK-MASTER® EASY
Products and packages need to be leak-tight. And there is a single, simple and very effective way to test leak-tightness and seal integrity.
LEAK-MASTER® EASY is a water-based leak detector. This leak detection technique enables identification of even the smallest of leaks, and testing of seal integrity without the use of trace gases.
This method of this leak detection, also known as the bubble leak test or bubble leak detection, is one of the eldest and most intuitive leak detection principles – the use of a water bath.
How does leak detection in a water bath work?
Leak detection with LEAK-MASTER® EASY couldn’t be easier, thanks to the easy handling. The specimen, for example a food package, is placed into the water-filled test chamber. By closing the chamber, the package is pressed below the water surface. The air above the water is then evacuated to generate a vacuum. Now, the air or modified atmosphere gas escapes from any leak points, such as the seal, as a visible stream of bubbles.
Thus, the naked eye can determine, from where a product is leaking and if, for example, there is a defect in the packaging seal.
Leak detection with the LEAK-MASTER® EASY – simple but special
LEAK-MASTER® EASY has some special benefits compared to other systems for leak detection and seal integrity testing:
- To generate the vacuum, the LEAK-MASTER® EASY leak detector only uses compressed air with the help of a venturi injector. No electricity is needed to test the leak tightness of the products
- Optionally with electrical vacuum pump
- LEAK-MASTER® EASY is made of stainless steel and high-quality acrylic glass. The generously dimensioned wall thickness allows a vacuum of up to 200 mbar absolute. Enough to test the tightness of any product.
- A safety relief valve protects the leak detector from excessive vacuum and thus extends the lifetime of the leak tester.
- The filled water bath can be quickly, easily and conveniently emptied after use by a valve at the bottom of the chamber.
- With a special vacuum set, the leak-tightness of vacuum packaging can also be checked.
- An optional vacuum holding valve shuts off the chamber after the vacuum has been generated. Perfect for leak-testing over a long period without ongoing consumption of compressed air.
- As an option, WITT offers a calibrated gauge with DKD/ DAkkS-certificate.
- LEAK-MASTER® EASY is available in 7 different chamber dimensions, for testing various products and packaging sizes.
Leak detection system with electronic control unit
An electronic control unit is available for the LEAK-MASTER® EASY leak tester. The “PLUS” controller accelerates and standardizes test procedures. Preset measuring programs allow a standardized leak test to be performed, essentially independently of the inspector. The inspector simply puts the product into the chamber and starts the test. The preset vacuum is automatically set and held for the desired test duration. The inspector looks for bubbles and enters the result of the leak test at the control panel. The LEAK-MASTER® EASY PLUS also allows convenient data management and easy documentation of measurement results.
Packaging stability tests and altitude simulation
As well as the classic leak detection, LEAK-MASTER® EASY has even more functions. In the dry chamber, package stability test and burst tests can be performed. Altitude simulation test are enabled by the electronic PLUS controller, simulating the pressure ramps to which air cargo are typically exposed.
Leak detection / seal integrity testing for numerous applications
Whenever leaks are critical to product quality, a leak detector is needed. This allows leaks to be detected in the material, in connections, in the sealing seams or in the packaging’s main space - before the product is delivered to the customer.
The LEAK-MASTER® EASY leak tester is often used to test food packaging, be they with protective atmosphere or with vacuum. These packed foods range from meat and fish to dairy and cheese, bread, pasta and snacks … to coffee, cereals or animal feed.
Medical and pharmaceutical products’ packaging are also ideally suited to such testing.
Both rigid or flexible packaging can be tested, including tubular bags, stand-up pouches, bags, thermoforming trays, vacuum or skin packaging, sachets, capsules, PET bottles, cans or even resealable packs. Pharmaceutical ampules, vials and blister packs are also tested. In addition, packages of wet wipes can be tested for leak-tightness and seal integrity.
In addition to packaging, a whole different category of products can be tested: products whose specific function would be adversely affected by leaks. These include air cushion films, headlamps and other automotive components, electronic components, floats, endoscopic camera systems and much more. In all these cases the leak test is easy and safe to perform in a water bath.
Reasons for leaking packages
In the manufacture and sealing of packaging, there are many potential flaws that can lead to leaks. With modified atmosphere packaging and also with vacuum packaging, the sealing seam is particularly susceptible to leaks. The causes of such leaks are manifold: faulty temperature or pressure distribution, unsuitable joining tool design, contaminated or worn tools, or seam contamination. And the film material itself can also be defective and cause a whole batch of packaging to leak. Another critical point for possible leaks is the opening point.
Leak detection in accordance with all relevant standards
- WITT is certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 22000
- LEAK-MASTER® EASY is approved for food gases according to regulation (EG) No.1935/2004.
- The LEAK-MASTER® EASY leak testers can be used for various ASTM-tests for the detection of leaks:
- ASTM D3078 Standard Test Method for Determination of Leaks in Flexible Packaging by Bubble Emission
- ASTM D6653 Standard Test Methods for Determining the Effects of High Altitude on Packaging Systems by Vacuum Method
- ASTM D4169 Standard Practice for Performance Testing of Shipping Containers and Systems
- ASTM D4991 Standard Test Method for Leakage Testing of Empty Rigid Containers by Vacuum Method
- ASTM D5094 Standard Test Methods for Gross Leakage of Liquids from Containers with Threaded or Lug-Style Closures
- ASTM F2096 Standard Test Method for Detecting Gross Leaks in Packaging by Internal Pressurization (Bubble Test) - using our optional adapter.
More on leak detection
For more information about the benefits and methods of leak detection for modified atmosphere packaging please go to www.leak-master.net